Saturday, February 12, 2005

I'm going to completely geek out now.

Fair warning: I'm an electrical engineer.

Please look the other way.

Star Trek: Enterprise has been canceled. After four seasons. I'm disappointed, though I have to confess I never made it completely through the first season, but have watched episodes here and there. I did like that they picked up more on the Andorians and Tellarites, but generally found that the show was oddly lacking in drama, had a mawkish them song, and frankly, seemed to made no sense at all within the Star Trek timeline. Also, I really didn't care at all about any of the characters. Including the Vulcan in the bodysuit. Possibly by now I would have if I had applied my "third year" rule (see below). On the other hand, I do intend to watch next week's episode on "How the Klingons Got Their Spots" ...er..."Brow Ridges."

IMHO, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was the best of the Treks, although it didn't get going really until the third season and the whole Bajoran mysticism was a bit much. It did, however, have excellent acting, generally compelling stories, much more character development, and was, by and large, less sappy than TNG.

Star Trek: The Next Generation had its moments (again, only after the second season) but Data and Wesley should've been pitched out an airlock. Also, at times it was almost sickeningly touchy-feely (Ship's counselor? ON THE BRIDGE? You've got to be kidding. Oh, and they didn't get a "real" engineer until third season...talk about alienating your base!). Also, am I the only one who thought it was a bit fetishistic for Sarek to have been (i) the only Vulcan to have ever married a human woman and then (ii) to have married a second one?

I'm still watching the occasional rerun of Voyager (AKA, "Gilligan's Island in Space"), so won't comment at length, although I did think Kathryn Janeway was often a better captain than Jean-Luc "John Tesh" Picard (Picard: "Q, is there anything I can do to make you feel better while you're blowing us to smithereens? Maybe a nice hot toddy?" vs. Janeway: "Q, get the hell off my ship!").

Then there's the Original Series, which started the whole thing. I remember watching the Kirk, Spock, McCoy, et al., reruns when I was a kid, and thinking it was real, and then being disappointed we'd only recently just gotten to the moon. What more can I say? Other than thank heaven there were episodes like The City on the Edge of Forever, to make up for Spock's Brain.

There now. I'm done. You can look again.

Although I warn you that someday I might blog about the movies.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...